Thank you for your interest in joining the Come Out With Pride Board.
Come Out With Pride is seeking board members, specifically in need of persons with experience in festival / parade planning, legal, marketing, communication, fundraising, and grant writing. While our Production Team is responsible for planning and executing the event including managing the various teams of volunteers helping throughout the year and week of, the board is responsible for the financial stability of the organization as well as setting and adhering to a long-term vision. Here are some of the things we are looking for in a board member:
1. Fiduciary responsibility. This doesn’t mean every board member has to be an expert in finance or accounting (that’s the Director of Finance's job), but it means that you should have the ability to adhere to budgets and make decisions that minimize long-term risk to the organization. You may even be expected to assist in bringing in sponsorships and other funds. In the end, we need to operate as a business — if we don’t bring in enough revenue and can’t pay the bills, the event doesn’t happen.See this page for additional legal responsibilities.
2. Setting the agenda. As Come Out With Pride continues to grow there will likely need to be some difficult choices regarding the direction that the event should take, choices that need to be thoughtfully considered and passionately argued. Be prepared to bring lots of fresh ideas to the table; while we can’t guarantee they’ll come to fruition, it’s also the job of a board member to listen and be receptive — even if we may not see the full picture at first glance.
3. Be an ambassador. Be an ambassador. A board member will be a visible representative of Come Out With Pride and thus should be visible within our community. You may be asked or required to attend social gatherings, fundraisers, and other events with the intention of forging relationships with other businesses, groups, and individuals. While having an existing network to connect with is helpful it is not required; it is more important though to be able to communicate Come Out With Pride’s mission and accomplishments to anyone at any time, anywhere.
4. Be an agent of change. Come Out With Pride aims to have a Board of Directors, who represent Orlando’s diverse community across race, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, family responsibilities, age, socioeconomic status, political affiliation, and other marginalized identities. Come Out With Pride’s core values are celebrating diversity, advocating for equity and justice, and creating an inclusive and welcoming space for all members of the LGBTQ+ community and allies to be their authentic selves. How can your lived experience bring a unique perspective and help us broaden our vantage points to speak to everyone in our LGBTQ+ community?
5. Be a team player. Be a team player. Our group works best when we collaborate, speak honestly, respect one another, and actively listen. Our organization benefits from hearing everyone’s distinct backgrounds and lived experiences. Board members must be willing to challenge decisions and the status quo for us to move forward.
As an all-volunteer nonprofit organization, Come Out With Pride board members can expect to spend a minimum of 5-10 hours per month on formal duties including board meetings and other events. Board members will need to be available for at least 10-20 hours the week of the festival. If you take on other functional roles such as a department director or committee chair, your responsibilities and time commitments will increase. As a board member, you will need access to a computer, the internet, and the physical ability to attend meetings and events. Board terms are for 2 years. Previous experience with a Pride event or similar large event is preferred but not a requirement.
Come Out With Pride values diversity, equality, and inclusion. We strongly encourage women, people of color, transgender individuals, and members of other underrepresented and marginalized populations to apply.
If you believe you would be an amazing fit for us in the capacity of a Board Member, please apply by completing the form below!
Additional questions? Please email us.